Elevance Clean™ 1200, a Superior-Performing Degreasing and VOC-Exempt Solvent, Introduced by Elevance Renewable Sciences, Inc.
Commercially available solvent outperforms conventional and bio-based solvents in heavy manufacturing, transportation MRO and industrial food processing degreasing applications
Woodridge, Ill., USA (June 10, 2014) – Elevance Renewable Sciences, Inc., today introduced Elevance Clean™ 1200, a superior-performing degreasing and VOC-exempt solvent that outperforms traditional and bio-based solvents for industrial degreasing applications targeted toward heavy manufacturing, transportation maintenance and repair operations (MRO), and industrial food processing.
Elevance Clean™ 1200, now commercially available, is the latest addition to the growing portfolio of renewable, high-performance products from Elevance’s novel technology and world-scale biorefinery, and is the second cleaning solution commercialized this year. The first isSTEPOSOL® MET-10U, a novel surfactant based on Elevance’s Inherent™ building blocks, introduced by Stepan Company, one of the leading global surfactant manufacturers, for a range of cleaning applications including adhesive removal, paint and coating removal systems, kitchen degreasers and all-purpose cleaners for both consumer and industrial uses.
“We are committed to offering a suite of better-performing, more cost-effective cleaning solutions for the marketplace. Elevance Clean™ 1200 is fulfilling an unmet market need for a high-performing, environmentally friendly solvent with reliable supply and price stability,” said Andy Corr, Elevance Senior Vice President, Consumer and Industrial Ingredients. “Elevance Clean™ 1200 and STEPOSOL® MET-10U represent significant advancements in cleaning performance that couldn’t be achieved before.”
Elevance Clean™ 1200 is produced from natural oils to create a novel solvent architecture that delivers superior performance. This innovative, bio-based solution achieves sustainability goals while improving cleaning performance in applications such as:
- Tough-to-remove soils common to the heavy manufacturing and transportation MRO sectors — industrial grade complex greases (e.g., lithium, molybdenum disulfide), paraffin waxes, automotive lubricants, metalworking fluids and corrosion-preventive oils.
- Tough-to-clean soils affecting industrial food processing operations — hardened and fluid animal and plant lipids, and cooking greases and oils.
Elevance Clean™ 1200 can be used as a pure solvent, blended with other solvents or emulsified with the addition of surfactants to provide semi-aqueous systems for a variety of industrial degreasing applications where superior performance and an improved environmental profile is desired. In addition, Elevance Clean™ 1200 can be used in mechanical and touchless (immersion) cleaning applications, and its specific product attributes include:
- Outperforming standard degreasing formulations in the market at neutral pH (6-9), eliminating the need for highly caustic cleaning products, demanding and time-consuming personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements, and the need to preserve sensitive metal substrates.
- Surpassing the solvency power of d-limonene, other terpenes and esters including soy methyl esters and dibasic esters, as measured on the Kauri-butanol (Kb) scale.
- Degreasing up to two-to-three times more effectively and more quickly in metal cleaning when compared to Aromatic 150, d-limonene, methyl soyate and other standard solvents.
- Demonstrating excellent performance in non-mechanical immersion testing, outperforming Aromatic 150, d-limonene, methyl soyate and other standard solvents.
Elevance Clean™ 1200 also meets restrictive environmental requirements, a key benefit as VOC requirements continue to become more stringent globally and a growing number of aromatic solvents appear on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Toxics Release Inventory (TRI). Elevance Clean™ 1200 meets the following requirements:
- VOC exempt (40 CFR 59.203 – Standards for consumer products)
- TSCA listed and REACh registered
- California AQMD LVP-VOC
- Readily biodegradable (by OECD method)
Elevance Clean™ 1200 is produced from large, local commodity crop sources with proven price stability compared to key alternatives like d-limonene, and is available through Elevance’s world-scale biorefinery in Gresik, Indonesia, a 180,000 MT joint venture with Wilmar International Limited. Availability will be bolstered by a second biorefinery in Natchez, Miss., USA, where engineering is currently underway. Elevance is the only specialty chemicals company that will have two world-scale biorefineries in operation by 2016.
About Elevance Renewable Sciences, Inc.
Headquartered in Woodridge, Ill., Elevance Renewable Sciences, Inc. is a high-growth specialty chemicals company that creates novel specialty chemicals that perform better from renewable feedstocks, making the products that industry and consumers use every day better. Using a proprietary technology called olefin metathesis, the company helps industry deliver products that exceed the performance of existing products while leaving a smaller environmental footprint — for use in personal care products, detergents and cleaners, engineered polymers, lubricants and additives, and other specialty chemicals markets. To learn more, visit www.elevance.com orwww.renewicals.com.